Police Offer Tips to Prevent Thefts
Submitted · May 12, 2011
The Milford Police Department offers the following tips to help prevent thefts:
• If you hear or see something that you believe is suspicious, follow you gut instinct and call the police right away by dialing 911. Officers will respond to check on the situation.
• Please lock your doors and close and lock first floor windows in your home.
• Please do not leave valuables visible to others.
• Always make your property appear occupied.
• Secured window screens.
• Light the outside of your home to make visible to your neighbors. Outside motion lights can make it more difficult for a burglar.
• Trim bushes near doors to reduce hiding places for burglars. Install dead-bolt locks on outside doors making sure you can unlock the doors from inside without a key to allow everyone inside a quick escape from possible dangers such as fire.
• Don't keep expensive jewelry, collectables, or large amounts of cash in your home. Keep a list of valuables with serial numbers and document them using videotape and or photographs.
• Don't advertise your absence. Never leave messages on your answering machine that says you are away. Have someone pick up mail, newspaper, set out trash, mow lawn or shovel snow.
• Close your garage door. Empty garages may signal no one is home.
• Lock you vehicles and keep valuables out of sight thus reducing temptations for thieves.
• Park vehicles in visible and well lit areas.